Thursday, January 19, 2017

A New Thing

This is what's on my radar right now, real time. I just remembered I forgot to start the laundry and it's too late to take any action. The washing machine pressure is almost non existent and takes forever and it's already 9:40 and I'm still three hours away from being able to go to sleep without attending to laundry.

Oh, I'm gonna google and see if I can find a stock public domain photo of a washer and dryer set because everyone knows, people can only read so many words on a screen without a picture of something. What has happened to us all?? ( So proud I remembered to use italics and not shouting caps:)

My little butler's table that I use for a desk in my room, is filled with music stuff as I work through remedial issues of intervals and relative minors and seventh chords and I have a paper keyboard from the used text I found on ebay for $8.95 plus free shipping. ( Hmmmm. Stop and pull a picture of piano? Nah...You'll read a few more words, I'm sure).

This blog is a morphing of my column I wrote for twelve years in The Vashon Loop. I moved off Island and last Spring, I knew it was time to take my banner and wave it elsewhere. Major surgery, moving and going back to school, plus the need to just take a break from pumping out 800-1,000 words every two weeks for twelve years, gave me a huge break. I needed it.

There was one other biggy that happened. You all know I slept in my car for a year to get this book "Kneeling at the Cross: A Protestant Looks at the Crucifixion" to print, right? Well, an agent saw it. Real God story. I'll share it in a couple of years. He liked it. In fact he liked all my rough drafts for other projects that I sent him. So, after a couple of months of me working myself into such a place as I could believe I wasn't Daniel Webster and he wasn't the devil, I signed a contract with him. I admire agents. They are coach, advocate, counselor, stylist, and translator all wrapped into one. They hang in there for years with us artists, writers, dancers, painters, musicians, performers, who all have to be at least a tad neurotic or else we fit into society too much to be of much use artistically, for a percentage. It took months of testing him, but I finally decided he was right. I did need him.

You know that overnight sensation thing? Yea, it doesn't happen. It's yeeeeeeears of creation and rewrites and reviewing and all these other people having their hands on stuff.  So we began the slow process of getting my writing to a wider audience. Part of that was the decision to narrow down what I write about.

As soon as I do what I was told to do two weeks ago and contact the guy who's going to help me revamp my website so it looks more anime and less War and Peace, you'll notice the parenting stuff gets kinda tucked away and the personal growth stuff will morph into the faith based stuff.

Everybody is faith based ya know. They have it or they don't. They have faith in something or faith in nothing.
I like talking to people about their faith walks. I find people's faith journeys absolutely fascinating.

So I'm cool with just focusing on faith issues.

Which brings me to the fact that this is the Eve of the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States. What will I be doing during the inauguration? Practicing Clementi, and Mozart and Chopin and Beethoven. Actually. Really. My lesson is at noon tomorrow.

As a Christian, I know lots of my brothers and sisters in the faith think he's the answer to their prayers. Me? I can go into a dozen reasons why I think he's the evidence of God saying 'Wellllll. I think I'll just take my hand of blessing off the country for while and let them have at it on their own."

I'm not going into those reasons right now. But one thing I know for sure. We will all be living under oppression for the next four years. Why/ "The love of money is the root of all evil." And he looooooves money. Like Golom. Can't get enough. Isn't very honest about it. Stewards it poorly. Would, and has, stepped on anyone to get more. Have you been around someone who looooooooves money?

So this is kind of a two parter. It's howdy hi and gee what a world , what a world . You do remember the Wicked Witch of the West said that , right?  (Oh shoot I still haven't worked any pictures in here. I don't think she's public domain. I think I end up paying Stephen Sondheim money if I put a picture of Elpheba here. Or MGM. Do they still own it?)

Anyhoo. How do you live under the thumb of someone who looooooooves money? Well, first of all you realize you are living with someone with a severe addiction.  So, be real. Being President is only going to feed the addiction. Second, you stay out of their disease. Go to Presidential Anon, if you need to. Keep your honest core. Get grounded.  Call a spade a spade.

In the next blog, I'll give some practical advice for daily living, but for now, do some research about people who loooooooove money. Did you notice he got elected by people who wanted more money?

Well, that gets us off to a cheery start doesn't it? Positively Speaking had two mission focii when it I wrote for the Loop. The first was to prove that we could talk about negative things in a positive way. Clever title, huh? Secondly, and fair warning, it was to talk about the things of God, the sacred, the eternal, in a way that opened conversations up instead of closing them down.

OK. This is so enough words. I could have chosen a dollar bill or a washer and dryer or the Wicked Witch of the West. Tell me your preference and I'll edit them in. I love the comments on my feed. Leave a few here. Now I'm going to get back to homework. I'm excited to find out the relative minor is just built on the sixth degree of the major scale. How easy is that??

I always signed my column, and so I will continue to do here- every Thursday night or Friday. Every week (whew doggies. Upping my game!)
Love,
Deborah


No comments:

Post a Comment